Comic Book Blog

Just one guy's thoughts on various comic books.

2.14.2005

Review: Daredevil #69



Daredevil #69
Marvel Comics
Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: Alex Maleev

Daredevil's a book that I've been reading since Kevin Smith relaunched the character. Prior to this series, I had not been particularly interested in him. Bendis has been writing a nice story with Daredevil, and putting him through the ringer. All along, Maleev's art has complemented the grim and gritty setting of Hell's Kitchen. The only down point of this run has been when David Mack substituted for Bendis for several issues and wrote a dragged out story involving Echo and Wolverine.

Now we move on with another chapter in the "Golden Age" story, and it hadn't been that memorable to me, so I read all four parts in one sitting. This is a good story that spans several different time periods. I like how the stories are woven together and crafted, but the unchronological storytelling of even the more modern events seems a lot like a gimmick. But that's nitpicky. When Bendis returned from the short hiatus, I thought this comic had declined in quality but this arc has proven me wrong. Maleev's art is as spectacular as ever, especially when trying to capture the different eras of the story. Get the word out, Daredevil's back on track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home